Friday, 17 May 2013

Flashback Friday - Super Smash TV


 photo SmashTVTitle_zps374d3877.jpg

Super Smash TV is a SNES home console port of the 1990 arcade game Smash TV. The arcade game was controlled via 2 sticks where as the SNES version uses the d-pad to control direction and the X, B, Y, A to fire up, down, left and right respectively.

The game is set in far and distant year of 1999(notice the sarcasm)and takes place in a Running Man style gameshow with smiling host that pops up on screen to say lines like "Total Carnage! I love it!", "dude!" and "I'd buy that for a dollar!", the last one is taken directly from Robocop from a very similar TV comic called Bixby Snyder.

 photo SmashTVBoss_zpsc4ceaafd.jpg

At times the gameplay can get quite hectic at times with constant streams of enemies coming from the 4 doors in each room and to survive you will need to make use of the many powerups that come on scree. The powerups range from extra weapons and go to shields and drones that fly around you and fire the same weapon as you.

If you are wanting to play Smash TV without having to buy a old console you can pick up a copy of Midway Arcade Treasures for PC, Gamecube, PS2 and Xbox. There was even a version for the Xbox Live Arcade but was taken down in 2010.

I really enjoyed playing it again, I was taken back by just how difficult it was but then again I do tend to find the older games are more difficult then the latest games. I do wish I had another pad so I could get Emily to play it with me as this is where the game excels with you fighting over the pickups. Yea the graphics are dated but you will get that from a game that is over 20 years old!

One big problem with playing this is that it is making me want to get more of the older consoles and games to go with them but space and money are a bit of a problem with that. Retro gaming can be quite an expensive bug to catch!


No comments:

Post a Comment