Sunday, 12 May 2013

Patient Zero


 photo PatientZero_zps636e27e3.jpg

'When you have to kill the same terrorist twice in one week, then there's either something wrong with your skills or something wrong with your world.

And there's nothing wrong with my skills.'

Before I start with my review I would just like to say thank to Jonathan Maberry for writing this book (The reason for the thank you will follow). I was on my way to visit my girlfriend at Uni and decided to walk into Waterstones just to see what they had and this was the first book I saw, now I will be honest and admit that I had never heard of Jonathan Maberry before (To be fair I hadn't read a book in years) and I just picked it up because it was about Zombies. To cut a long story short lets just that that I would like to extend my gratitude to Mr Maberry for making me fall in love with books again. Thank you so much.

Patient Zero is the first book in the Joe Ledger series and follows Joe Ledger a Baltimore detective who gets drafted into the Department of Military Sciences (DMS) by the mysterious Mr Church to fight terrorists and zombies that have been created due to a parasite that infects the brain with Prion protein.

The characters are all amazing, Maberry describing them so well you can hear their voices as you read and even understand the reasons why they do the things they do. Description is what Maberry does best, like an artist of words he paints the world for you to picture in your mind and dragging you in and helping you feel like you are fighting along side them. the action is fast paced and brutal at times and just as you think something is about to happen the scene changes (that's a good thing). I worded it as the scene changes because that's how I see these books. To me the short sharp chapters are like scenes in a film, its just perfect for the series.

The violence is on its own level and when reading the battles you can tell that Maberry is a little bit into his martial arts (7th Dan in Jujutsu) with the way he writes about the punches and locks.

If you are wanting a fast paced action filled book that is like a cross between 24 and The Walking dead with a dusting of Rambo then this is for you......if you are not a fan of all that then just read it anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment